Beef Barley Soup is a classic meal selection on a cold winter’s day. It easily cooks in the slow cooker making meal prep a breeze.
Hearty and rich, this is a one pot meal sure to satisfy.
I make this meal with leftover tenderloin roast, however stewing beef works just as well. Be sure to use your favourite tomato sauce and let it cook for at least 6hrs in the slow cooker before serving.
Enjoy this soup paired with a fresh loaf of French bread and Craft Beer.
- 8 c Beef Broth
- 1 c Tomato sauce
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp Marjoram
- 1 tsp dried Thyme
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 1/2 c Pearl Barley
- 1 c Carrots (diced)
- 1 c Celery (diced)
- 1 c white Onion (diced)
- 1 clove Minced Garlic
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1.5lbs cooked tenderloin roast or browned stewing beef
- Dice the tenderloin or stewing beef into bite sized pieces and add to the bottom of your crock pot.
- Add the Minced Garlic, diced carrots, celery, and onion to a medium sauté pan and cook for roughly 5 minutes until softened. Add to your crock pot.
- Add the Beef broth, Tomato Sauce, Worcestershire sauce, Marjoram, Thyme, Salt and Pepper, Pearl Barley, and Bay leaves to the crock pot. Stir to combine.
- Leave on a low setting for at least 6 hours.
- Serve garnished with a sprinkle of fresh Parsley and Thyme.
A nice loaf of Fresh French Bread and a cold Craft Beer compliment this hearty soup well.