Sunday nights are pasta nights in our house and this Pappardelle Pasta is a definite crowd pleaser. I use fresh homemade egg pasta and a wild mushroom mix for this dish. It comes together quickly which is a nice surprise for a dish that presents itself as complex.
The trick to this dish is the butter and the sherry. A great chef from Williams and Sonoma taught be all about using a fabulous butter called “Plugra” for brown butter sauces. He is brilliant for the creamy texture and unique taste is fantastic! When you add the Jerez sherry to cut through the butter it is a perfect pairing.
I hope you enjoy this dish as much as we did.
Rustic Mushroom and Sage Pappardelle PastaPrint This
- 1 pkg Fresh Egg Pasta (or home made)
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tbsp Plugra butter
- 1 cup wild mushroom mix
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp minced sage
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 1/2 tsp Jerez cooking Sherry
- Finely grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and Pepper tt
- This dish comes together fairly fast so you are going to want to gather your “mise en place”. (gather and measure all of your ingredients before you start)
- Step one is to bring a large pot of heavily salted water to a boil. I normally fill the cup of my hand with kosher salt and toss that in. Don’t be alarmed. All of that salt does not absorb into the pasta rather traces of it just give a lovely flavour. Once the water is boiling, turn to a simmer and cover until your ready to cook your pasta.
- In a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat, add your garlic, sage, and the butter. Cook until the garlic is fragrant and the butter begins to brown. Add your wild mushroom mix, the tomatoes, and the sherry. Cook until the mushrooms have softened and the sauce has thickened. About 5-8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, throw your fresh pasta into the boiling water. Cook until al dente. (still a tiny bit firm in the centre) Strain the water from the noodles but do not rinse. You want to keep that lovely seasoned tasted. Add to the butter mixture and toss to coat well and evenly.
- Divide the pasta equally in 4 pasta bowls. Sprinkle each with fresh parsley, a generous helping of finely grated Parmesan, and salt and pepper. Serve at once.