I always look for simple and decadent recipes and this one for Wild Blueberry Coffee Cake is just the one. My mother used to make this every morning for the guests at our Island Bed and Breakfast. It is an easy recipe to make the night before, it freezes well, and the adaptations are endless.
As much as I love having this treat with coffee, enjoying it with ice cream is just as fantastic. My kids love this cake and always gobble it up in record time. I would by misleading you if I said I didn’t join them in their cake conquests.
For this coffee cake I use a 9″ spring form pan. It makes the cake nice and tall while allowing it to be served easily. If you prefer to make this cake in a sheet cake pan, use a 9 x 13 rectangle and cook for a reduced time of only 40 minutes. Enjoy!
Wild Blueberry Coffee CakePrint This
- 1/2 butter
- 1 1/2 sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 1/4 cups blueberries
- 2 tsp melted butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9 inch spring form pan with PAM non-stick cooking spray and set aside
- Add the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl with a stand mixer. Mix on high speed for 3 minutes.
- Add the egg and mix for 1 minute. Scrape the sides and bottom of bowl.
- Add the flour 1/2 at a time with the mixer on low speed
- Add the baking soda and mix to combine
- Add the vanilla and mix to combine.
- Add the sour cream and mix to combine scraping the sides of the bowl often.
- Add your berries.
- Pour cake batter into prepared spring form pan.
- Combine all topping ingredients and sprinkle over top of cake.
Bake the cake for 1 hour and 10 minutes checking with a toothpick for doneness.
Once cake is ready, allow to cool on a wire rack before removing it from the pan. Serve immediately with a drizzle of fresh honey.