If I want to create an appetizer that will succeed in bringing everyone to the table, these scallops are it. We are a family of bacon lovers and seafood junkies. Combining the two is magic in our world.
I make these using thick sliced bacon and jumbo Digby Scallops. A simple wrapping technique is all you need to nestle these tasty bites in place. Adding herbs and spices along with a drizzle of olive oil is a nice flavour boost to what is normally a very basic dish. Keeping it simple is the secret to success and part of this dishes charm.
Bacon Wrapped Digby ScallopsPrint This
- 24 Jumbo Digby Scallops
- 12 Thick slices of Bacon
- 1.5 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1.5 tbsp fresh oregano
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbsp virgin Olive Oil
- Run your scallops under cold water to rinse. Pat them dry with paper towel and set aside.
- Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Set aside.
- Take your 12 slices of bacon and cut them in half resulting in 24 pieces. Take each piece and wrap it around one scallop placing it on the baking sheet seam side down. Repeat for all 24 scallops.
- Combine the fresh herbs and coarsely chop. Add the pepper and toss to combine. Sprinkle evenly over the tops of the scallops. Place scallops in the oven. Cook for 20 minutes or until the bacon has cooked and crisped around the edges.
- Once cooked, place the scallops on a serving tray and drizzle the Olive Oil evenly over all of them. Serve with seafood forks or toothpicks to pick them up.
You can serve these as is or place a dish of seafood sauce | cocktail sauce on the side for dipping.