It is -30 here in Alberta and we are freezing. As we battle through each day in this drudgery, a warm hot meal is something we desperately look forward too. None of us want to cook in this weather. We just want to be fed. This recipe allows that to happen. Chicken stew and dumplings (made with my Quick mix) simmering in the slow cooker while you are at work. It doesn’t get much better than that.
Using nothing but the freshest ingredients this recipe a winner. Prep this meal the night before and you have a turn-key solution on a cold winters day.
Slow Cooked Hearty Chicken Stew with Fresh DumplingsPrint This
- 3 Chicken breasts, diced
- 4 medium carrots, skinned and diced
- 4 medium potatoes, diced (skins can remain on)
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced.
- 3 stalks of celery, diced.
- 1 cup of frozen peas.
- 4 cups of chicken broth.
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp thyme (dried. if fresh, use 1 tbsp)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp rosemary (dried, if fresh, use 1 tbsp)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 tbsp flour
- Dumplings (using the Quick Mix)
- Using your slow cooker, add the diced potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, chicken, salt, pepper, garlic powder, thyme, rosemary, bay leaves and chicken broth to the ceramic insert. Stir well.
- Set on High Heat and cook for 4.5 hrs.
- Add the peas.
- Whisk the milk and flour until blended. Add to the stew and mix thoroughly.
- Using the Quick Mix with added Chives if you wish, create the dumpling dough. Drop by rounded spoonfuls on top of the stew, cover, and cook for another 30 minutes.
- Once the dumplings have puffed up and the stew is thickened and bubbly, Serve.