Blueberries are my favourite garden berry. Easy to grow, easy to store, and easy to use, they find a home in many of my summer dishes. Most noteworthy is this Blueberry Pie.
It takes minutes to make this Deep Dish crowd pleaser.
Serve it along side a hearty dollop of whipping cream or vanilla ice-cream.
Ultimate Deep Dish Blueberry PiePrint This
- Pastry dough for a 2-crust pie
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 cup of Cornstarch
- 1/8 tsp (pinch) of Salt
- 6 cups of fresh Blueberries
- 1 tbsp fresh squeezed Lemon Juice
- 1/2 tsp of Lemon Zest
- 2 Tbsp fresh Butter
Begin this recipe by pre-heating your oven to 425 F.
- Line a 9″ pie plate with the first disc of Pastry Dough.
- Combine the sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, and salt mixing thoroughly.
- Add the blueberries, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Toss to combine and coat.
- Add the blueberry mixture to the pie shell.
- Dot the pie with the butter by cutting the butter into equal portions and placing around the pie to ensure even distribution.
- Cover the pie with the remaining pie shell and pinch the edges in a decorative pattern. (fold the top edge over the bottom edge and seal with a pinch all the way around the pie)
- Cut 4 slits on the top middle of the pie to let the steam release. Cut the strips in 1 inch lengths at the clock place of 12, 3, 6 and 9.
- Place pie on a pie cooking sheet or a foil lined cookie sheet.
- Bake the pie for 20 minutes, then reduce the heat to 375F
- At the 40 minute mark, check the pie to make sure the edges and the top are not getting too brown. If they are, cover with a loose sheet of foil and continue baking.
- Bake for an hour until the filling is bubbly in the centre.
- Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
- Serve warm or serve cold.
This pie will store in the refrigerator for 3 days or in the freezer for 30 days.
Garnish this pie with fresh whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.