When the wind blows and the weather is chilly, French Onion soup is the perfect meal to warm you up. My family loves this recipe as do I. With a rich savoury beef broth, a dense baguette bread, and sharp melted Gruyere cheese, this dish is perfect.
Rich Savoury French Onion SoupPrint This
- 6 large yellow onions thinly sliced.
- 1/4 cup of butter or 1 butter stick
- 1 tsp white sugar
- 1 cup rich red wine such as a cabernet sauvignon
- 8 cups of beef broth
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 cups of grated gruyere cheese
- 8 slices of thick french bread
- 1 tbs garlic butter
- Fresh parsley and thyme
- Begin this recipe by caramelizing the onions. You do this by gathering a large dutch oven and melting over medium heat. Add the onions, and stir to coat them with the butter. Turn the heat down to low, and take a piece of tin foil, place it directly over the onions to keep the steam in. Check frequently and stir occasionally. Once the onion have softened and have begun to brown on the bottom, remove the foil. Sprinkle the sugar over the onions, stir. Stir frequently for approximately 10 minutes until the onions are a nice golden brown in color.
- Add the red wine to the onions. Stir until wine has reduced and evaporated.
- Add the beef broth, Worcestershire, salt and pepper. Stir. Cover, and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, brush each slice of bread with garlic butter on both sides. Put the bread in the oven under the broiler for about a minute. You want to toast them lightly. Once slightly brown, open oven, turn them over and toast the other side. Remove from oven.
- Ladle the hot soup into french onion soup bowls.
- Place one slice of toasted bread on top of each bowl of soup.
- Put the shredded cheese on top of each bowl (about 1/2 cup on each)
- Place the french onion soup bowls on a rimmed cookie sheet lined with parchment. Place under the broil element in the oven for about 3-5 minutes. Until the cheese melts, bubbles, and begins to brown very slightly.
- Remove the soup from the oven, garnish with fresh parsley and thyme, and serve.
This soup freezes very well. Make steps 1-3 then freeze in a freezer safe container.