I grew up with a Mother who absolutely loves Chocolate. She also loves dessert. As much as I don’t have a sweet tooth her influence has generated my appreciation for all things chocolate and sweet. Dessert has become an important element to my dining routine today. Then of course, I had a daughter who inherited my Mother’s love of Chocolate desserts and voila. I have been seeking and finding dessert solutions for the last 21 years.
One of my favourite finds is this decadent Chocolate Lava Cake. It is elegant and rich yet surprisingly easy to make. Just a few simple steps and a short cooking time churn out an amazing result. This dessert can be made a day ahead or, wait for it, frozen and taken out to be cooked on demand. It is the perfect dessert for a Dinner Party. You will look like you have spent all day in the kitchen when in fact you’ve been enjoying your own party.
Decadent and Rich Chocolate Lava CakePrint This
- 4 oz semi sweet chocolate
- 1/2 c butter
- 1/4 c whipping cream
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 c sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- The first step in this recipe is to preheat your oven to 400F and gather your ingredients.
- Take 8 custard cups, and spray them with cooking spray. Dust liberally with granulated sugar and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, add the chocolate, butter, and whipping cream. Over medium heat, stir the contents until melted and smooth.
- Remove from heat, add the vanilla and whisk in the flour until smooth.
- Using your mixer, mix the sugar, eggs, and yolks on high speed until thick. This takes normally 8-10 minutes.
- Fold the egg mix into the chocolate mix in 3 additions. Fold until mixtures is blended.
- Divide the batter equally into the 8 custard cups. Place the cups on a cookie sheet and then put them in the oven. Bake for 9-10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack for about 4 minutes.
- Run a knife along the edge of the cups to remove cake from the sides. Take the dessert plate, place on top of custard cup and turn them over. The cake should easily fall out of the custard cup and on to the plate.
- Serve immediately with either whipping cream, fresh fruit, or vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!
You can make these cakes up to 24 hrs before baking. Just refrigerate and then bake them for 10-11 minutes. If you want to freeze these cakes before baking, they will last in the freezer for 2 weeks. Bake them for 16-17 minutes from frozen.